Small or Broken but Loved
1st Reading – Isaiah 42 1-4 2nd reading – Matthew 12 9-21; 33-37
- Many of us feel as though we are unimportant, we are broken, weak, our impact for god is small, we feel unloved due to our failings.
Jesus talked about being lights to the world but we hardly feel we are a tea light glowing dimly for a short time.
We feel that we are not the perfect person God wanted and made.
However when you make something and invest it with a lot of your love how do you feel about it when it gets damaged?
- Which is better.
Large candle or tea light [have both and light them]
This pot or this one [my superman pot or the one I made]
a big powerful important person of faith or a small shy person of faith?
God doesn’t see it this way, even a flickering light is important, in our readings God says he will not put out a flickering candle.
- Talk about how god spoke to me about my worth through a tea light.
- Spend some time thinking about the things you do for God no matter how small.
- Are they important, do you think God is pleased that you did it?
Do you think he would rather have snuffed it out?
Our Psalm talked about people avoiding us about how broken I am
To my enemies I’m a monster;
I’m ridiculed by the neighbours.
My friends are horrified;
they cross the street to avoid me.
They want to blot me from memory,
forget me like a corpse in a grave,
discard me like a broken dish in the trash.
But you Lord see even the broken and weak as important, you delight in what they do.
This is because you made us and invested us with your image, your love, and time.
Like when we make something it holds a special place for us even when it gets a little cracked and broken we are held in a special place by God who made us.
Think about that for a while.
- How does it make you feel that God loves you even as a small light or a cracked pot.
He loves you the way you are because life has crafted what he made into this.
He understands all you have experienced over the years, the things that have influenced you.
You might feel broken weak or unimportant but you are not.
Even a dim light in the darkness can save a life, even a broken pot can bring living water to a person who is thirsty.
- It is by the fruit you bring forth that you are known, not by how much or how big but by some good coming from your life.
A tea light might not seem much but at the right time it can make a big difference.
A broken cup might not seem much but can make a difference if that is all that is available.
Accept what you are and give of what you are, as a tree ages if gives less fruit but it does still bear fruit even if only one small apple.
Time of open prayer and reflection